Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Porco Rosso

I always thought that Miyazaki was obsessed with flight since it appeared in so many of his films, but now I KNOW that he is obsessed with it. To me, this film is merely Miyazaki exercising his freedom as a director to explore his childhood fantasies. The story is not very interesting, major plot points are never completed, and social and political issues were not stressed. With so much attention from the public it seems selfish to make a film lacking in a lesson. All I took away from it was that its not easy being outside of society. Thats really not much of a reason to watch this film when so many others do the same thing and much more. Although not necessarily a bad film Porco Rosso, to me, is just a standard Miyazaki film. It is not as special as some of his other films.

Despite the narrative flaws I noticed Porco Rosso had some great moments of stunning animation. The sequence where they are escaping from the piccolo workshop the plane sprays a trail of water that is really beautiful! Also, when the girl is swimming the water around her as she moves looks very natural and detailed.

I am curious to see what people say about this in class. I had an overall negative reaction to the film in comparison to his others, but this is apparently Nagisa's favorite. Seems like the discussion could get heated!

1 comment:

  1. I personally think because Marco is an adult and his personality and characteristics are already set even before the story begins, it takes away the biggest joy of Miyazaki's movies - the growth. Moreover, the plot is overly simple compare to his other pieces, but therefore I think audience can focus on Marco's inside or his reaction when something happens. It could be pretty much of a film noir in anime version. This film has this seriousness in terms of depiction of character so if we try to look on the bright side, there are lots of things that makes this film so special.

    ReplyDelete