Monday, April 19, 2010

Howl's Moving Castle

I have always loved this film. The main reasons I have always known - my love of the idea of magic, Victorian clothing, and Beautiful mountain landscapes. I always knew there was something more to this film that made me love it but I could never figure out what it was. I think I finally did.

Howl's Moving Castle always leaves me wanting more. so many things in this movie are unexplained and unfinished. I am always left wanting so much more. I feel as if the film is just a preview rather than a whole film. It seems so short in my mind.

That being said, I just realized which of Miyazaki's films are my favorite and why. It is the Magical Trilogy - Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. All three of these films treat magic similarly. Gifted individuals (Kiki, Yubaba, Howl) use magic to their advantage and as a was to interact with society in a different way. Kiki and the other witches, use their magic to create a service business to help those without the gift of magic. Yubaba uses her power to efficiently run a giant bath house for spirits in need of revitalization. Howl uses his magic in the different towns to give charms to the people and also fights against the war efforts. This humanitarian treatment of magic is fascinating to me. In most films I have seen or games I have played, any magical individuals are untouchable. They seem to have no weaknesses (I'm thinking the fairy godmother from Cinderella or Glinda from the Wizard of Oz). The magical characters in Miyazaki's films have such great flaws that make them easy to relate to. Kiki's struggle for control over her environment speaks so strongly to me as a college student finding my way through the world. Yubaba's inability to let go of her love for her baby reminds me that it is absolutely impossible to sacrifice the things you love most. Finally, Howl's failure to be entirely self-sufficient reminds me that it is ok to look to my family and friends for help.

These three films speak to me in a different way than any of Miyazaki's other works. To me they do not stress the environmental issues that Miyazaki is so famous for. They define humanity and signify its importance to our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment